Thursday, May 20, 2010

Survival of the Fittest

It appears that my herbs and flowers survived the somewhat traumatic transplanting from last month. I'm not really sure how big each type of plant should be right now so I don't know if they are on track or behind schedule. But they aren't dead and that is a victory in itself.

Flowers 1

A few of the flowers are struggling, which I expected they might since the package said Nasturtium don't do well with transplanting. One is definitely looking good with strong green vines and bright color while the others tend to fade from green to yellow on occasion. The dahlias are getting taller and the Johnny-Jump-Ups seem to be progressing. Ironically I've forgotten which plants are the forget-me-nots. I'll know when/if the flowers bloom.

Herbs 1

The herbs are doing well - from left to right is basil, chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary and lavender. They took some injury during a tremendous downpour a few weeks ago. The water cascaded from the roof of the building directly into the container. I rescued them when I saw what was happening but some damage was done, especially to the basil and chives.

Basil

The small pot of basil is looking great. Time will tell just what a mistake it was putting all these plants into one container. Perhaps all I'll need to do is transplant them to more containers. It they do well, there will be an abundance of pesto made this summer.

No comments: