Saturday, February 17, 2007

Fingerless Gloves

Wow - even I'm impressed with the speed of this project. I made most of these yesterday during my commute. The only thing I started at home on Thursday was one of the ribbed cuffs. I also worked on them while watching "Most Haunted" last night. I guess it helps that I have a massive paper due on Monday and I tend to do anything that helps me procrastinate. (Look what I'm doing now - posting on my blog instead of working on my paper!) Oh well - I've been like this since high school so there's no changing me now.

So here are the fingerless gloves in progress:



Hook Size: G

Yarn: Purple and gray leftovers from my stash, no labels (was also used for the Best Bunny pattern)

Pattern: Basic Mittens


But Sam! You said you were never going to use that pattern again! Why did you lie?? Can we ever trust you again???

Settle down, kids. I didn't lie to you. I used the basic mittens pattern as a template of techniques but I didn't follow it stitch for stitch. I just needed a refresher on how to make the cuff and the thumb whole. What I didn't do and should have done was join each row instead of working in a spiral fashion. When I changed colors, look what happened:



Now - this doesn't really bother me because these gloves are for my own use and I positioned the thumb holes so that the smooth stripe is on the top. I don't know if the photos show this well, but I did stitch the gray stripe a bit differently. I single crocheted the gray in the back loop which gave it some distinction from the purple.

Here's yours truly modeling them. (Please pay no attention to my pasty Welsh and Irish hands which are in desperate need of a manicure.)





Compared with my first mittens, these are already much better. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish off the top. If I can, I'm going to try to create individual finger holes so that they are actual fingerless gloves. If that doesn't work, I'll just leave the top open and they will be more like fingerless mittens...wait..all mittens are fingerless. I guess they would be called convertible mittens?

No comments: