Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Plugged Back In

The internet is finally up and running at Casa de Crocheting Commuter. Time for some updates!!

Girls Weekend

It was a freakin' blast! We went to Stitches East, did sightseeing in downtown DC, and laughed and laughed and laughed! Laughter is the best medicine for sure - followed by a frosty amber beverage to wash it down. :) Too many inside jokes to share here - did somebody say viking hats and stick-on mustaches? I'd also like to pat myself on the back for being Sammy-bombs, the Rock Star.

Stitches East

We only went for the Marketplace and I'm happy to report that I did very well with my plan to only buy a few things. There was plenty to choose from, that's for sure, but I wound up loving this yarn at WEBS:

Valley Yarns 2-14 Alapaca Silk a
Valley Yarns 2/14 Alpaca Silk in Burgundy and Olive

And I picked up a bit of this:

Valley Yarns Longmeadow
Vally Yarns Longmeadow in Coral, Melon and Lettuce

I don't know what I'll make with this, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. The Mistress - who until walking onto the floor of the convention center had never picked up a knitting needle or crochet hook in her life - found lots to buy. And by the end of the weekend, The Queen had taught her all the basics and she showed me how to yarn over. Good times, indeed!

Super Secret Sam Project

The Queen presented me with the "Super Secret Sam Project" that was keeping my interest peaked each time I saw it under her side bar. Now, it is a secret no longer!

Behold!

Mr Burns 02

I knew right away what this was...do you need a clue?

"Good morning star-shine, the Earth says hello..."

Why yes, it's Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, Season 8 and the episode "The Springfield Files". When this episode first aired, The Queen and I absolutely lost it when we saw Mr. Burns singing. Here's a screenshot (thanks to the Queen) and the doll:

Mr. BurnsMr Burns 01

The Queen is still working on making a hospital gown for him, but I love it just as he is. Thanks, Queen!

WIPs

I've been working on another doily project with the pattern, Ripe Wheat Doily. I'm not going to post details or photos about it until it's done because 1) it only looks good once it's ironed and/or blocked and 2) I'm lazy.

I've got two other projects in the works - one is a blanket for my brother-in-law's girlfriend and another is a scarf I'm making for one of my best friend's friends. I had made her a scarf a couple years ago and her friend so admired it, she wanted one, too. As I'm a sucker for compliments on my work, I of course agreed to make one for her. It's an easy project and should take less than a week to complete.

I'm also going to try and make a few squares for the San Diego Wild Fire Blanket Project (see the Blogger page and/or the Ravelry group). I've got some yarn in my stash that should work nicely for that.

My Stash

The moving in has gone very well and Sean and I have accomplished quite a bit in just a week and a half. One of the pressing issues is where my stash will reside. The office is getting full of desks and bookshelves and until those boxes get unpacked, here's where my stash resides:

Crochet Corner 03

Those two boxes contain all my yarn (except some yarn in a wicker container out of the photo). The bag is full of fabric remnants from a sewing stint I had a few years back. This little corner resides in our sunroom - which currently has no purpose other than to store other boxes that need unpacking:

Possible Crochet Room

Sure, this room would be great for a formal dining room...but wouldn't it be better as a craft room? A couple of big, squishy chairs next to a couple of shelves full of baskets brimming with yarn?

Samhain

With the pagan New Year tomorrow, I so wish I could take the day off as a religious holiday. But if I do have to go to work, at least I can wear jeans and claim it's part of my Halloween costume.

And yes, I'll be wearing the aforementioned Viking hat. :)

Happy Halloween!!!

No comments: