Monday, December 22, 2008

Crafty Christmas

I wanted to share a couple of non-crochet/non-knit crafts I made this year. First is a traditional one (traditional meaning I make them each year).

Reindeer Candy Canes - 2008 Version
2008 Candy Cane Reindeer 2

Aren't reindeer candy canes just the cutest thing? Here is the 2008 version next to the 2007 version on the tree.

2007 and 2008 Candy Cane Reindeer

Last year, I made them for both my office and Sean's office. This year, I wasn't even going to bother with them. Then on Thursday, someone in Sean's office noticed the 2007 version on Sean's desk and she asked Sean if I was making them again this year. I was so happy to know someone was looking forward to them that I just had to make a herd. They were delivered on Friday and even more people were delighted to see them again this year.

And here's crafty project #2...Now this was a brand new concept to me. For friends of mine, this was a yearly tradition growing up. The kids would sprinkle the reindeer food out on the lawn on Christmas Eve. Here's mine:

Reindeer Food
Reindeer Food 1

Reindeer food consists of oatmeal (uncooked and not the instant kind) and red and green sugar crystals. The reindeer food is in a baggie and wrapped up in some shiny red wrapping paper. That is wrapped up in a sheer white fabric that I hastily cut into a circle and sewed over the edges with green thread. I tied it up with some gold curling ribbon and attached the tag. You can't see it in the photo, but on the other side it reads:
Sprinkle on the lawn at night.
The moon will make it sparkle bright.
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam,
This will guide them to your home.

Isn't that cute? I only made 2 bags of reindeer food. One was given to a co-worker to share with her grandchildren and the other one was sent up to Buffalo to Brodie. I hope the kids have fun with it. I wish I had know about reindeer food when I was growing up.


1 comment:

the mistress said...

I remember the reindeer! How cute. You are so crafty. Miss you.