Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Completed Project: Cabled Crochet Socks

This project is done but sadly, the heel fix didn't help the toe problem. This project is considered finished even though I haven't completed the second sock.

First Socks 11

First Socks 13

Pattern: Cabled Crochet Socks by Little River Fiber Arts

Hook size: #2 (Susan Bates)

Approximately 1 1/4 skeins of Socks That Rock yarn in

Size: supposed to be adult women's size 9 - probably closer to a 10 or 10 1/2

Modifications: My vertical gauge was larger than the pattern said so I took out one full cable (3 cable rows, 1 twist cable row) prior to the heel. I should have taken out two and/or reduced the number of rows of the toes.

The heel had half the rounds with 2 sc decreases in each corner and half with rounds of 3 sc decreases in each corner.

I finished the top of the sock with a round of dc (NOT fpdc) followed by a row of sc.


These socks were supposed to be for me and while I tried them on again and again as I was making them, the finished product was too big in the toe. I think you can see it in the photo below. To fix it, I'll have to frog it all the way past the heel to remove a group of cables. Please note: This is not a reflection on the pattern - the pattern is great!

First Socks 12

Plus, I rather like the way the yarn looks in single crochet, so there's a chance I'll frog both socks down to the toes and do all single crochet instead of the cable. But it will be awhile before I decide what exactly I'll do with these socks. I think I need a break to work on a new project.

No comments: