Thursday, July 17, 2008

Live! Live! Live!

Such is the mantra for Auntie Mame, one of my favorite movie heroines. If you're a Ravelry member, you should check out the new group that the Mistress, Queen and I created - Aspiring Auntie Mames.

One thing I love about Mame and the message of the movie is that you've got to live life. You've got to do things and see places and experience life. As she says, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Now, for the most part, I "Live! Live! Live!" on a much smaller scale. My idea of "living" does not involve rock climbing or speed racing or going dancing at the latest and greatest nightclub. I like the finer things in life, whether it be a gourmet meal, a glass of perfectly aged wine, or a luxurious hank of cashmere yarn. That's living to me.

But today - in the spirit of Auntie Mame - and because we found a kick ass deal online - Sean and I booked a trip to Ireland! It was quasi spur of the moment because the deal came in an email on Tuesday. We hemmed and hawed about it - wanting to go but not sure that the timing was right (hello, mortgage!). But really - when is it ever the right time to do anything? When do things ever fall all neatly in place that you can plan accordingly? That's right - NEVER. We're been planning to go since we met. I was there in 2002 but Sean has never been so he's been as anxious to go as I have been to return.

We looked at each other and agreed - it's too good of a deal to pass up. Let's do it!

And so we did.

My credit card is crying right now and our stimulus check will be stimulating the already strong Irish economy. We don't go until January and we're going to have to do some saving for spending money between now and then (i.e. another yarn freeze) because the US dollar is trading crap to the Euro....

But we're going - and we're so excited! That's what I call living!

Have you lived today?

1 comment:

the mistress said...

I'm excited for you.
Live! Live! Live!