Sunday, March 18, 2007

Genetic Flower Mutation

I FINALLY started working on the daisy crochet charity square. Part of the deal of getting the pattern is that you have to make one and send it to the author. She does some great work making charity blankets and makes one beautiful pattern.

The pattern was a bit complicated - crocheting in front of this and behind that, changing colors, etc. But I got the hang of it and it was looking good.

Well, it was looking good until I got to the part where you create corners around the petals to make it a square.

I don't know how this happened. I don't know why I didn't catch this problem sooner I rounded the last corner I noticed something was a bit off.

Here's what my square looks like:

Here's what it was supposed to look like:

How did I end up with 9 petals instead of 8??? I don't know. I don't know where I miscounted and I don't know why I didn't double check the number of petals I was supposed to have. I guess I was too busy concentrating on learning the technique.

Oh well. What I do know is that this square will be frogged and I'll have to start all over again. Mrah!


The Queen of the Snow Cows said...

I kinda like the nine petaled flower better. But I suppose it wouldn't be good for the blanket (being the only different non square square LOL!)

Sam said...

I agree - if it were not for the inability to make corners, I liked the 9 petals. Maybe if I did a blanket of circles instead of squares, then I could use the 9 petaled one.

Oh well - the mutation has been frogged and I'm almost done with the correct version. Hopefully I'll post about it tonight or tomorrow.

Lisa said...

I like the 9 petaled one too. When you make a blanket of your own with this pattern.. you could make it all with pentagons.

Sam said...

Ooooh...that could be really fun! I'll have to play with the squares to see how it would all fit together. I'll keep you posted. :)