Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Commuting Hell

When the commuter trains run on time, it is by far the best way to get to and from DC. But when the commuter trains (the engines, the track signals, Amtrak, the lines, or whatever other component that could have an issue) have problems - the whole thing goes to hell.

Case in point: I can make one of the pentagram spiral motifs per day of my commute, start to finish. Yesterday, I made two pentagram spiral motifs. Why? Because the train signals outside of DC shat the bed.

Long story short (because I don't really want to relive the travesty that was last night's commute) - At 7:30, we were still on the train at Union Station when 1) it was scheduled to leave at 6:40 and 2) we are usually at home at 7:20. Thanks to the overall incompetance of the communication lines between the conductors, the MARC people and the Amtrak people, we had no idea when we were going to leave. Sean and I opted to run for the other train which is on a seperate line altogether. This meant a longer train ride followed by an expensive cab ride to the other train line's parking lot to pick up our car and drive home.

At 8:31 pm we walked through the door.

Did I mention I left my office at 5:15 pm???

Pardon me if I'm a bit cranky today.

3 comments:

The Queen of the Snow Cows said...

Holy crap Sam! THAT SUCKS SO BAD!

Wow. I hate when bad commutes happen to good people!

Sam said...

Yeah, it royally sucked. At least I get to work from home today and not deal with the trains.

Tracie said...

Well, look on the bright side: You got a little more crocheting done. :D